Adejoke Ayoola, MSN, PhD | email@example.com
- BSN Obafemi Awolowo University, Ife-Ife, Nigeria. 1991
- MSN Obafemi Awolowo University, Ife-Ife, Nigeria. 1998
- PhD Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, USA. 2007
- Pregnant Women and Infants
- Assistant Professor, August 2007- Date: Department of Nursing, Calvin College, Grand Rapids, MI, USA
- Research Assistant, Jan. 2005 – Date: Project Understand: Designing interventions to reduce unintended pregnancy risks and encourage early pregnancy recognition among women. Department of Medicine, Michigan State University. Principal Investigator, Dr. Mary Nettleman
- Research Assistant, Jan. 2004 – Dec. 2004: Teen Health Project: Reducing unintended pregnancy among adolescents. College of Nursing, Michigan State University. Principal Investigator, Prof. Anne Teitelman
- Research Aide, Sep. 2003 – Dec. 2003: Nutrition Education Aimed at Toddlers. College of Nursing, Michigan State University. Principal Investigator, Prof. Mildred Omar Horodynski
- Senior Nurse Tutor, Nov. 2000 – Aug. 2003: Post-Basic Nursing School, National Ear Care Center, Lagos, Nigeria
- Program Officer, Sept. 1999 – Oct. 2000: Action Health Incorporation, Lagos, Nigeria
- Program Officer, Jun. 1998 – Aug. 1999: Women Health Promotion Project, Ile-Ife, Nigeria
- Nurse Tutor (Graduate Assistant), Apr. 1994 – June 1998: Department of Nursing, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State, Nigeria
- Midwife Tutor, May 1993 – Jan. 1994: School of Midwifery, Oluyoro Catholic Hospital, Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria.
- Women and adolescent health related issues
Awards & Scholarships
- CDC Travel Scholarship to attend 13th MCH EPI Conference- Dec 2007
- 2007 American Nurses Foundation/ Midwest Nursing Research Society Research Grant Scholar, August 2007
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Foundation Student Award- August 2007
- College of nursing Graduate Fund- August 2007
- Dr John F Dunkel Memorial Scholarship- October 2007
- MI State University Dissertation Completion Graduate Fellowship- May 2007
- CDC Travel Scholarship to attend 12th MCH EPI Conference- Dec 2006
- Miriam J. Kelly African Scholarship - August 2006
- William G. and Marion E. Stuckle Endowed Nursing Scholarship- April 2006
- William G. and Marion E. Stuckle Endowed Nursing Scholarship- April 2005
- Miriam J. Kelly African Scholarship - June 2005
- William G. and Marion E. Stuckle Endowed Nursing Scholarship- April 2004
- Kebbi State NYSC Committee Chairman’s Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Development of Kebbi State, Nigeria, for the year 1991/92
- Ayoola, A. B., Stommel, M., Nettleman, M. D. (2009). Late recognition of pregnancy as a predictor of adverse birth outcomes among women of childbearing age, American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 201(2), 156e1-156e6.
- Nettleman, M. D, Ayoola, A. B., Brewer, J. B. (2009). Utilization of home pregnancy testing among women at risk of unintended pregnancy, Women’s Health
Issues, 19(4), 263-267.
- Nettleman, M. D., Brewer, J., Ayoola, A. B. (2009). Self-testing for pregnancy among women at risk: A randomized controlled trial, American Journal of
Preventive Medicine, 36(2),150-153.
- Nettleman, M. D, Brewer, J. B., Ayoola, A. B. (2009). Reasons why adult women risk unintended pregnancy, Journal of Family Practice, 58(4),e1-5.
- Nettleman, M. D., Chung J., Brewer, J., Ayoola, A., and Reed. P. (2007). Reasons for unprotected intercourse: Analysis of the PRAMS survey. Contraception, 75(5), 361-366.
- Ayoola, A.B., Brewer, J. B. and Nettleman, M. D. (2007). Reasons for having unprotected intercourse: A review. Journal of Women’s Health, 16(3), 302-310.
- Nettleman, M. D, Brewer, J. B., Ayoola, A.B. (2007). Reasons for Unprotected Intercourse in Adult Women: A qualitative study. Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health, 148-152.
- Ayoola, A.B., Brewer, J. B. and Nettleman, M. D. (2006). Epidemiology and prevention of unintended pregnancy among adolescents. Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice, 33, 391-403
- Olaogun, A. A., Brieger, W. R., Ayoola, A.B., Obianjuwa, P.O., & Adebayo, S. O. (2006). Mother-father concordance on treatment choices in the care of sick children under five years of age in Osun State, Nigeria. International Quarterly of Community Health Education, 25(3), 283-293.
- Ayoola, A.B., Olorunshola, D. A., Oyeleye, B. A. and Oladimeji, B. Y. (2002). Assessment of patients’ post-operative pain by nurses in a Nigerian teaching hospital. Journal of the Nigerian Medical Rehabilitation Therapists (JNMRT), 7 (2), 5-10.
- Olaogun, A.A.E., Afonja, S.A., Onadeko M., Fabiyi A.K and Ayoola, A.B., (1999). Assessment of knowledge and attitude of secondary school students and staff on female genital mutilation: Implications for school health programme Nigerian School Health Journal, 11 (1&2), 72 – 80.
Papers Presented at Conferences
- Poster presentation: ‘Use of pregnancy test kit among women at risk of unintended pregnancy’ presented at the13th Annual Maternal and Child Health Epidemiology Conference held December 12-14, 2007 in Atlanta, Georgia
- Poster presentation: ‘Reasons for unprotected intercourse: Analysis of the PRAMS survey,’ presented at the12th Annual Epidemiology and Maternal and Child Health Conference organized by the CDC Reproductive Health Unit, Atlanta, Georgia, Dec 6-8, 2006.
- Poster presentation: ‘Support from male partners as influencing factor in women’s health: Research translation project,’ presented at the 13th National Conference Implementation of Evidence-Based Practice In Diverse Settings with Diverse Populations, Iowa State University, Iowa, April 27-28, 2006.
- Poster presentation: ‘Support from male partners as influencing factor in women’s health: Research translation project,’ presented at the Midwest Nursing Research Society 30th Annual Research Conference on Linking Research and Practice, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, March 31-April 3, 2006.
- Paper presentation: ‘Understanding why women do not use contraception even though they do not desire pregnancy,’ presented at the 11th Annual Epidemiology and Maternal and Child Health Conference organized by the CDC Reproductive Health Unit, Miami, Florida, Dec 6- 8, 2005.
Other Scholarship Activities
- Reviewer Bulletin of the World Health Organization – April 2007
- Reviewer and Member of the Poster Evaluation/Award Committee for the CDC 12th Annual MCH EPI Conference, Dec 6-8, 2006, Atlanta, Georgia
- Member, Honors Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International
- Member, Midwest Nursing Research Society
Back to Faculty & Staff page