REPORTS TO: Class Instructor
JOB PURPOSE: Assist the laboratory instructor before, during and after the laboratory; Grade student work as assigned by instructor.
- Help to set up laboratory as necessary.
- Clean up the laboratory space and/or equipment at the end of each laboratory period or a later time can be arranged with instructor.
- Assist students in the performance of laboratory work primarily by acting as a resource person to answer questions or demonstrate procedures. Assistant should take a proactive role in this.
- Grade lab reports in a timely manner and keep secure records of lab grades.
- Know location and operation of safety equipment.
- Depending on the nature of the course, be willing to drive departmental vans on field trips and to be certified as an authorized van driver by Calvin College. Must have a valid driver's license.
NECESSARY SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Preference given to GEO majors who have taken upper level courses relevant to the course they will be assisting.
- Must be in good academic standing with the college with an overall GPA of 2.7.
- Must have taken the course ( or equivalent) with which they are assisting and have earned a B or better.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with students and laboratory instructor.
- Must be able to follow directions given for the performance of the laboratory exercise.
- Must model and insist on compliance with safety rules and regulations. This includes safe driving practices if asked to drive.
- Must be able to take appropriate action if a laboratory accident should occur.
- Must be courteous, prompt, dependable, honest, and able to maintain confidentiality.
- Must commit through the end of the semester.
WAGE LEVEL: $8.15/hr (with appropriate increase for prior experience in department)
LENGTH OF EMPLOYMENT: one semester
HOURS: the scheduled lab period, prep time prior to the start of lab and clean-up time after lab; may involve some weekend field trips.
*POSITIONS WILL BE OPEN UNTIL FILLED.