Melanee Weening '99
WHY DID YOU CHOOSE YOUR MAJOR?
"In grade six, I was given the opportunity to be in an enrichment class that took place out of school. We studied environmental/global issues exclusively. This time of learning really impacted me and my sense of duty as a person in this world. The next year, I had a geography teacher who patiently (while the rest of the class groaned) answered my unending questions about our earth—rocks, weather, cultures, you name it. He even brought in a rock tumbler that hummed continuously in the back of the classroom shining all my pebbles and rocks which I had collected along the shores of Lake Huron during family camping vacations. By the time I had reached Calvin, I was not only fascinated with the earth, the people who cover it and how we live, I was a committed environmentalist and passionate outdoors-person. Choosing my area to study was a no-brainer."
MEMORIES OF CALVIN
- Eco-Fiction Class with Henk Aay (An Interim Course)
- Environmental Philosophy with Janel Curry (ENV 395)
WHAT AT CALVIN PREPARED YOU FOR YOUR CAREER?
"Calvin prepared me by guiding me to develop my ability to think critically, and be open to ideas, being ready to learn and remembering my faith in all that I do."
LIFE AFTER CALVIN
- Worked for North Country Trail Association in Grand Rapids Michigan making trail use maps using ArcView
- Got married, travelled a little
- Lived in poverty in Toronto, Ontario (who really believes that minimum wage can pay anyone's bills?)
- Moved to Barrie, Ontario where my husband has been teaching ever since
- Bought a house in Orillia, Ontario, doing renovations
- Went to University of Western Ontario and earned B.Ed
WHAT ARE YOU DOING NOW?
"I have been working for an Ontario Land Surveyor the last 3-4 years. I mostly draft plans using AutoCad, although occasionally I have am out doing field work. I find this stuff very interesting—the ownership of land, the history of land division and placement of incumberances. But this is not my passion, which is teaching. I went back to school in 2002 to the University of Western Ontario and earned a B.Ed. I am currently teaching part time at an elementary school in Barrie, in a grade six class and a grade one class. I also continue to work in the survey field, specifically on subdivision and condominium projects. I have great balance and love my work in both areas."
ADVICE TO CURRENT STUDENT
"Study passionately. Once you get to this side, it's hard to go back."