The application process is underway to hire FYRES Mentors for the 2015-2016 academic year. To apply, please read about the position and qualifications needed on this website and then complete the application.
Applications must be received by midnight on 11 February 2015 to be included in the first round of consideration. If any positions remain open after the first round is completed, a second application deadline will be posted. It is in your best interest to meet the first deadline. Expedited application review is available by request for any applicant needing to make early decisions about other fall opportunities.
To be eligible to become a FYRES Mentor, a student must
- be a geography, geology, environmental studies (geography track), or environmental science (geology track) major.
- have completed Geog 252 Geomorphology or Geog 181 FYRES (or both).
- have prior research experience (completion of the Geomorphology research project with a grade of B or better counts has research experience).
- demonstrate academic ability (GPA of 2.8 or better).
- demonstrate potential for research and mentoring less-experienced students.
- be available for the scheduled FYRES activities in the fall semester.
In Fall 2015, FYRES Mentors must be available for the Geog 181 lab period (Th 1:30-6:30pm) and some of the Geog 181 class periods (MWF 10:30-11:20am).
If you are interested in applying but do not meet one of the eligibility requirements, either talk to Deanna van Dijk or provide an explanation in your application about why you should be considered for a position without meeting that requirement.
Interviews and Notification
In the spring application process, after applications are received and reviewed, candidates who meet the eligibility requirements are invited to a short interview with Deanna van Dijk. The interviews are opportunities to further highlight/explore candidate qualifications and fit with the FYRES Research Mentor program.