If you are interested in becoming a mentor in Fall 2013, complete the application form. Please read the requirements below to see if you are eligible for a position.The deadline for applications is Friday, 12 April 2013.
To be eligible to become a FYRES Mentor, a student must
- be a geography or geology or environmental studies (geography track) major.
- have completed Geog/Geol 252 Geomorphology*.
- have prior research experience (completion of the Geomorphology research project with a grade of B or better counts has research experience).
- demonstrate academic ability (GPA of 2.8 or better).
- demonstrate potential for research and mentoring less-experienced students.
- be available for the scheduled FYRES activities in the fall semester.
In Fall 2012, FYRES Mentors must be available for the Geog 181 lab period (Th 1:30-6:30pm) and some of the Geog 181 class periods (MWF 11:30-12:20pm).
*Students who have completed Geog 181 Research in Earth Sciences: Dunes and will be enrolled in Geog/Geol 252 in Fall 2013 are also eligible.
If you are interested in applying but do not meet one of the eligibility requirements, either talk to Deanna van Dijk or provide an explanation in your application about why you should be considered for a position without meeting that requirement.
Interviews and Notification
After applications are received and reviewed, candidates who meet the eligibility requirements will be invited to a short interview with Deanna van Dijk, likely to take place over the second week of April. The interviews are opportunities to further highlight/explore candidate qualifications and fit with the FYRES Research Mentor program. We will make every effort to notify students before Fall Registration begins about whether they are being offered a Mentor position.