Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why are there two different dates listed for the Young Authors Program?
Over 1,200 students come to Calvin's campus during the Young Authors Program. In order for us to accommodate such a large number of children, we offer the same event on two different days. You may choose which day you would like your students to attend.
2. What is the cost of registration for the Young Authors Program?
The registration cost for each student to participate is $15.00
(including a snack and a t-shirt).
3. To whom should I have the check made out?
Please make checks payable to the "Youth Writing Festival." We prefer one check per school, but if a parent sends a personal check, the child's name should be on the memo line.
4. Will my students be placed in groups with children from other schools?
In the past, students have been placed in groups with children from other schools. This year, in response to concerns raised by teachers and parents about this practice, students will stay in groups with children from their own school to attend the different sessions. We ask that each school provide one chaperone for every ten children attending to assist with the groups. Students will have an opportunity to share their books with students from other schools during the book sharing time.
5. I read that each young author is asked to bring a final draft of his/her original writing to share. Are there guidelines for the type of writing they should bring?
Please refer to our book guidelines for ideas on the types of writing that are typically shared at the event.
6. Both the Young Authors Program and the Middle School Writers Workshop include information for sixth graders. May students in the sixth grade choose which event they would like to attend?
We understand that arranging for transportation to and from Calvin's campus can be difficult. Since the location of the sixth grade varies from school to school, sixth graders may attend the Young Authors Program or the Middle School Writers Workshop.
7. Will my students have assistance in finding their way around Calvin's campus?
We hope to have a volunteer Calvin student assigned to each group. We do ask that each school bring one chaperone for every ten students attending. This will help prevent a group of children from being stranded without an adult if a volunteer suddenly becomes unavailable.
8. Do we pick up the program materials on the day of the event?
We ask that all materials be picked up the week before the event. This practice has prevented long lines and confusion on the morning of the event. Materials may be picked up at Calvin's English Department located in the Covenant Fine Arts Center.
9. I have a student with severe allergies. What kind of snacks will be offered?
Most of the snacks we provide are donated by a vendor in the area. We are very grateful for their generosity and support of the Young Authors Program. Since the snacks are donated, we are unable to regulate what they contain or where they were prepared. This year the snacks will be chocolate covered pretzels or granola bars and juice.
10. May I pick up my child early from the event?
We encourage all students to stay for the entire program. If your child needs to leave early, we ask that you notify us ahead of time.
11. Will my students be able to buy books at the event?
Yes. Books will be available for purchase at the event.
12. Will the authors be signing books at the Young Authors Program?
Due to a full schedule, the authors will not have time to sign books during the Young Authors Program. Signature plates will be available at the event.
13. If I decide to drive my child, where should I park my car?
We ask that all vehicles park in the DeVos Center and Prince Conference Center parking lots (lots 14, 15, and 16). There is a crosswalk over the East Beltline that will take you to the main campus.
14. Who should I call in case of an emergency?
In case of an emergency, please call the Festival office at 616.526.8423.