Elizabeth Vander Lei, Professor, co-chair, English
Professor Vander Lei graduated from Calvin College with a degree in English in 1985. She then attended Arizona State University, where she received an MA in English as a second language in 1987 and a PhD in rhetoric and composition in 1995.
- The rhetoric of Martin Luther King
- negotiating faith in the classroom
- writing across the disciplines
Professor Vander Lei is the co-chair of the English department. She is also the departmental director for the English 101: Written Rhetoric program, a part of Calvin's core curriculum. Professor Vander Lei recently co-authored a book, Real Texts: Reading and Writing Across the Disciplines with Dean Ward (New York: Pearson Longman, 2008). Another book, Inquiries into Rhetoric and Christian Tradition (co-edited with Tom Amorose, Beth Daniell and Anne Gere) is forthcoming from Utah State University Press.
- Baking cookies for her four kids
- taking her Pembroke Welsh Corgi named Kevin on walks
- traveling with her spouse
- Thomas Lynch's creative non-fiction—"Bodies in Motion and at Rest" and "The Undertaking"
- all of Annie Dillard's non-fiction
- Stanley Wiersma's poetry in Purpaleanie and Other Permutations and Style and Class