Jennifer Holberg, Professor, English
Professor Holberg was granted a bachelor of arts in English and history from New Mexico State University in 1990; she graduated with the highest honors as the university's valedictorian. She went from there to the University of Washington, where she completed her master of arts and PhD in English in 1991 and 1997. She joined the English department faculty at Calvin in 1998.
- The scholarship of teaching
- 19th-, 20th-, and 21st-century British literature
- The "middlebrow" woman novelist (currently working on a book-length study of the writer E.M. Delafield)
- The intersections of faith and literature
Professor Holberg is the founding co-editor of Pedagogy: Critical Approaches to Teaching Literature, Language, Composition and Culture. Published by Duke University Press, the journal was selected as Best New Journal by the Council of Editors of Learned Journals (CELJ) in 2001. Pedagogy celebrated its 10th anniversary in 2010. In spring 2011, she served as acting director (she is usually associate director) of Calvin's honors program. As such, she worked with faculty and students, and previously taught the inaugural course for students who live on the honors floor in Van Reken Hall. With Ken Bratt, she guest edited a special issue of The Journal of Education and Christian Belief on honors education. Her book, Shouts and Whispers: 21 Writers Speak About Their Writing and Their Faith, was published by Eerdmans in 2006 and received a starred review from Publishers Weekly. She recently completed a three year term serving as Calvin's head teaching fellow, training and mentoring new Calvin College faculty and assisting with faculty development across the campus. She also serves as the chair of the National Advisory Board of the Buechner Institute, located in Bristol, TN.
- Middlemarch by George Eliot
- Persuasion by Jane Austen
- Diary of a Provincial Lady by E.M. Delafield
- Professor Holberg was the recipient of the Professor of the Year award in 2002.
- Story Shaped Lives, Perspectives, Jennifer Holberg
- In Defense of Extravagance, Perspectives, Jennifer Holberg
- For JRB, Perspectives, Jennifer Holberg
- Becoming a Burden, Perspectives, Jennifer Holberg
- Book Looks at Faith and Writing, Calvin News
- Saving Private Memories, Spark, Lynn Rosendale
- Download a curriculum vitae