Pre-2011 English Major (36 semester hours)
Getting into the major program
You must have achieved a minimum grade of C (2.0) in English 101 to be admitted to the English major. Once this requirement is completed by taking the course or by receiving an exemption, you should choose your first literature core requirement, typically English 205, 210, 211, 215, 216, 217, or 218.
Finding an advisor
All professors in the English department advise students in the major program.
Graduating with an English major
To receive a bachelor of arts with a major in English, you must take the following courses:
English 210 or 211
English 215, 302, 304, 305 or 307
English 216, 308, 309, 314 or 321 (Either 215 or 216 may be taken from this and the above requirement, but not both)
English 334, 337, 339 or 370
English 345, 346, 347 or 350
English 217 or 310
English 218, 311, 312 or 315 (Either 217 or 218 may be taken from this and the above requirement, but not both)
Four English electives, excluding English 101 or 100/102, 356, 357 or 359
Getting internship experience
Enroll in English 380 and work with a professor to find an internship at a local publication, marketing/communications firm or one of the many Grand Rapids publishing houses.
If you plan to graduate with honors in English, you must:
- Complete a minimum of six courses for honors credit, at least three of which must be in the English department (not including honors English 101).
- Take at least two of your courses taken for honors must be from outside the English department. Honors English 101 may count as your sixth honors course.
- Complete English 399: Honors Thesis as one of your three honors courses in English. Learn more about the honors project.
- Maintain a GPA of 3.5 or higher, both within the major and overall.
- Receive a grade of B+ or higher on your honors thesis.