Prospective Student Resources: Freshmen Engineering Scholarships
The Engineering Department awards approximately 10 scholarships a year to first-year engineering students totalling over $13,000. Some scholarships are selected by the department based soley on ACT scores, HS GPA and financial need. Others require application AND a recommendation form.* Criteria for ALL Engineering Department scholarships require that students be admitted to the college by Feb. 1 and have Engineering listed as your first or second choice of major on file with the Admissions Office. Review the additional criteria for each scholarship carefully and send in your application.*
Applications for the freshmen class of 2015-16 are will be accpeted from Dec. 15, 2014 to Feb. 2, 2015.
It is important to note that to be considered for these scholarships you must:
- be admitted to the college by Feb. 2 (recieved a letter of acceptance from the Admissions Office.)
- have a FAFSA form completed or in progress by February 20.
- have your first or second choice of major listed as Engineering on file with the Calvin College Admissions Office.
- Applications must be received in the Engineering Departmentment by 5:00 p.m. on the date they are due. (Not postmarked). Applications may be mailed or faxed to 616-526-7684. E-mailed applications will not be accepted. Please be aware that even within the state of Michigan scholarship applications have been known to take up to 5 days to be delivered.
- Have a reccomendation from a High School teacher sent DIRECTLY to our office. Follow this link for recommendation form.. High School teachers are asked to follow directions on the form and not give the form to the student.
*Armor of Light Scholarship
- HS GPA of 2.7 or higher
- In addition, the dominant qualifier is the student's financial need, followed by creativity and well-rounded participation in extra-curricular activities
- This scholarship is renewable for the sophomore year based on the first year's college performance and continuation in the engineering program
*The Andy J. Egan Company Scholarship
- HS GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Preference also given to first year students and second to other class levels. Financial need is not required, but may be considered if there are more qualified candidates than there are scholarships available.
The James Bosscher Engineering Scholarship
- Demonstrate outstanding achievement and potential in high school
- Special consideration given to North American ethnic minority students
- The award is renewable for the sophomore year based on the first year's college performance and continuation in the engineering program
Jerry and Alice Hertel Memorial Scholarship
- HS GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Plan to work as a Christian Engineer to transform the world to God's glory.
- Financial need as defined by government programs is required.
The Frank and Bernice Hiskes Scholarship
- HS GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Some evidence of financial need
*Scholarship requires an application AND a recommendation form.
Please select the links to print the forms, fill them out and mail or FAX to:
Engineering Department Admin. Assistant
1734 Knollcrest Circle
Grand Rapids, MI 49512
FAX No. 616-526-7684
E-mailed applications will not be accepted.
MORE Scholarships available
Students should also refer to the Scholarship Search Database for more information on scholarships for Calvin students.