In order to compare our Geothermal HVAC system performance to the performance of the traditional boiler/chiller HVAC system, we will install instrumentation throughout our the Geothermal Suite, a neighboring conventionally heated suite, and a similarly oriented suite in an older dorm building. These three suites are 124 and 123 in the New Dorm, and 165 Heyns.
Measurements in the Geothermal Suite  include :
- Air Pressure in ductwork.
- The Flow Rate of water the well lines.
- Various Temperatures including duct air, ambient inside, ambient outside, and various temps through the outside wall.
- Solar Radiation on the outside wall.
- Current running to the Mechanical components (Well Pump and Heat Pumps).
- Current running to all electrical outlets in the suite.
Measurements in the Traditional Suite  include :
- Flow Rates of heated and cooled water to and from convectors.
- Various Temperatures including hot/cool water supply and return, and ambient inside.
- Current running to the Mechanical components (Fan Coil Unit).
- Current runni16 April, 2008 11:57 AMMeasurements in the Old Suite [Heyns 165] include :
- Ambient inside and outside Temperatures.
<16 April, 2008 11:57 AM/ul>
With these measurements, we can calculate :
- Air flow in the ducts bring air to the Geothermal Suite.
- Heat lost through the north-facing outside wall in the new building.
- Heat lost through the north-facing outside wall in Heyns.
- Heat added to the conventional suite.
- Heat added to the Geothermal suite.
- Energy use16 April, 2008 11:52 AMrong>Energy used to heat or cool the Conventional Suite.
- Efficiency of the Geothermal system (electrical energy used/heat produced).
16 April, 2008 11:51 AM