Approved June, 1977
Revised August, 1985
Revised May, 2003
Section 1. The name of the Division shall be the Liberal Education Division
(LED) of the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE).
Section 2. The objectives of the Division shall be consistent with those of the American Society for Engineering Education.
1. The Division seeks to promote the concept that the humanities and social
sciences are an integral and significant part of engineering education, as well
as being inherently important in themselves as branches of learning.
2. The Division seeks to provide ways for people who teach the humanities and social sciences in engineering programs to share their ideas and concerns.
3. The Division seeks to provide ways for people in humanities, social sciences, and engineering to interact - in the discovery and development of scholarly and curricular relationships.
4. The Division seeks to express its concern for and involvement in engineering education on an international scale.
Section 1. Membership in the Division is open to all members of the American Society for Engineering Education.
Section 1. The officers of this Division shall be a Division Chair; Division Chair-Elect; Secretary-Treasurer; Program Chair; Program Chair-Elect; Newsletter Editor; Webmaster; and Immediate Past Division Chair.
Section 2. The Division Chair and Division Chair-Elect shall be elected to office by the Division members in attendance at the LED Business Meeting at the ASEE Annual Conference. The term of these offices is one year and shall begin at the close of the Annual Conference.
Section 3. The Program Chair and Program Chair-Elect shall be appointed by
the Division Chair for a term of one year. The term of these appointed offices
shall begin at the close of the Annual Conference. The Division Chair shall
consult with the outgoing and incoming Program Chairs prior to appointing the
Section 4. The Newsletter Editor and Webmaster shall be appointed by the Division Chair for a term of two years. The term of these appointed offices shall begin at the close of the Annual Conference. The Newsletter Editor and Webmaster may be the same person, and these positions are eligible for reappointment.
Section 5. The Immediate Past Division Chair shall obtain office by succession and shall serve for a term of one year. The term of this office shall begin at the close of the Annual Conference.
Section 6. The Secretary-Treasurer shall be elected to office by the Division members in attendance at the LED Business Meeting at the ASEE Annual Conference. The term of this office is two years and shall begin at the close of the Annual Conference held during the election year.
Section 7. In the absence of the Division Chair, the Division Chair-Elect shall
assume the Chair's responsibilities for as long as is necessary during the remainder
of the elected term. In any extended absence of the Secretary-Treasurer, or
an appointed officer, the Division Chair shall appoint a replacement.
Section 8. Any elected or appointed officer of the Division shall be eligible to hold elected or appointed office during succeeding terms.
Section 9. There is an expected succession from Program Chair-Elect to Division Chair, so that a person who is appointed as Program Chair-Elect will successively serve as Program Chair-Elect, Program Chair, Division Chair-Elect, and Division Chair. This expectation, however, does not abrogate the Nominating Committee's responsibility, nor does it preclude a person from opting out of the succession.
Section 10. The duties of the officers shall be those set forth in the Bylaws. The duties of the Division Chair as the LED representative to the Council Board of Professional Interest Council III shall be those described by the By-Laws of the Council.
Section 1. There shall be an Executive Committee composed of the eight Division officers listed in Article III, Section 1. This committee shall be responsible for formulating the policies of the Division. The Division Chair shall serve as chair of the Executive Committee.
Section 2. There shall be a Nominating Committee consisting of the Immediate Past Division Chair, the Division Chair, and one Division Member at Large who is currently serving in any elected or appointed office in the Liberal Education Division. The Immediate Past Division Chair shall appoint the Member at Large and shall also serve as chair of the Nominating Committee.
Section 3. A Program Advisory Committee shall be appointed annually by the Program Chair. This advisory committee shall include the Program Chair-Elect and shall consist of at least one person from the humanities, one person from the social sciences, and one person from engineering.
Section 4. Any officer of the Division may appoint special committees to assist in conducting the affairs of the Division.
Section 1. Elections for the offices of Division Chair, Division Chair-Elect, and Secretary-Treasurer shall be conducted during the LED Business Meeting at the ASEE Annual Conference. Those members of the Division in attendance shall constitute a quorum.
Section 2. The Nominating Committee, as constituted in Article IV, Section 2, shall nominate candidates for the elected offices of the Division (Division Chair and Division Chair-Elect annually and Secretary-Treasurer biannually.) The slate of candidates shall be submitted to the Secretary-Treasurer no later than April 15 of each year, and the slate shall be communicated to Division members no later than one month prior to the ASEE Annual Conference.
Section 3. All members of the Division, as so listed on the official mailing list of ASEE, shall be eligible to vote for officers and in all special elections.
Section 4. A simple majority of votes cast shall be required for the election of officers.
Section 5. Action on Division issues shall be determined by a simple majority vote of those members present at the Division Business Meeting conducted during the Annual Conference of the Society.
Section 1. As stipulated in Article VIII of the Constitution of ASEE, papers and discussions presented at meetings of ASEE shall become the property of the Society. "The Board of Directors, through its delegated representative, may grant permission to publish such papers and discussions elsewhere on condition that ASEE receive proper credit or may waive any property right ASEE may have in the paper or discussion."
Section 1. This Constitution and Bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds majority vote of the Division members responding to a referendum conducted by e-mail or other electronic means.
Section 2. The following steps shall be completed prior to such a referendum: First, proposed amendments to the Constitution and Bylaws shall be distributed to Division members at least one month prior to the ASEE Annual Conference. Second, the members shall have the opportunity to comment on the proposals, and these comments will be made available at the LED Business Meeting at the Conference. Third, the proposals shall be discussed at the Business Meeting. Fourth, the majority of the Division members at the Business Meeting agree that the proposals are ready to present to the Division for a vote.
Section 3. Mailed ballots may substitute for the electronic referendum if necessary.
Section 1. Electronic communication, e.g., e-mail or listserv, will be sufficient to meet the requirements of Article V, Section 2 (communication about the slate of candidates) and Article VII, Section 2 (communication about proposed revisions of Constitution and By-Laws).
1. Assume responsibility for the functioning of the Division.
2. Appoint officers of the Division as stipulated in the Constitution.
3. Preside at all business meetings of the Division and Executive Committee.
4. Appoint any special committee or task force essential to the functioning of the Division.
5. Serve as a member of the Nominating Committee.
6. Serve as the LED representative to the Council Board for Professional Interest Council III.
1. Assist the Division Chair with his or her duties as requested.
2. In the absence of the Division Chair, assume full responsibility for functions of the Division Chair, whether on a temporary basis or for the remainder of an unexpired term of office.
1. Record and maintain minutes for all business meetings of the Division.
2. Receive and disburse all monies, and maintain complete financial records.
3. Prepare and distribute an annual report, and any necessary special reports, of the business proceedings and financial status of the Division. (The Newsletter may be used for communicating these reports.)
4. Certify the results of electronic balloting on proposed revisions to the Constitution and By-Laws.
5. Develop and maintain an historical record of the Division.
1. Arrange the program of the Division for the Annual Conference.
2. Appoint a Program Advisory Committee - consisting of at least one person from the humanities, one person from the social sciences, and one person from engineering - to assist in program planning.
3. Prior to the Annual Conference inform members of the Executive Committee of the specific program sessions and dates, as well as communicate these to the Division members.
1. Serve as a member of the Program Advisory Committee.
2. Assist the Program Chair with his or her duties as requested.
3. In the absence of the Program Chair, assume full responsibility for functions of the Program Chair, whether on a temporary basis or for the remainder of an unexpired term of office.
1. Edit and distribute the Division Newsletter at least two times each year.
2. Promote the exchange of pertinent written information among the members of the Division.
3. Promote increased membership in the Division through written communications.
4. Serve as a member of appropriate ASEE publications committees.
1. Maintain the LED Division's web site (this will usually include hosting
the Web site on the computing facilities of the Webmaster's home institution).
2. Maintain and operate the LED Division's listserv (this will usually include hosting the listserv on the computing facilities of the Webmaster's home institution).
3. Conduct the electronic balloting required by Article VII of the Constitution for revisions to the Constitution and By-Laws.
1. Serve as chair of the Nominating Committee, and ensure that the slate of
candidates is submitted to the Secretary-Treasurer by no later than April 15
of each year.
2. Advise the Executive Committee and Division membership in formulating policies and activities consistent with the policies and procedures of ASEE.
This page is maintained by Steve VanderLeest. It was last modified 12-Jul-2003 .