Approved June, 1977
Revised August, 1985
Section 1. The name of the Division shall be the Liberal Education Division of the American Society for Engineering Education.
Section 2. The objectives of the Division shall be consistent with those of the American Society for Engineering Education.
Section 1. Membership in the Division is open to all members of the American Society for Engineering Education.
Section 1. The officers of this Division shall be a Division Chairman; Secretary-Treasurer; Program Chairman-Annual Conference; Program Advisor-Geographical Sections; Projects Coordinator; Newsletter Editor; and Immediate Past Division Chairman.
Section 2. The Division Chairman and Secretary-Treasurer shall be elected to office by the Division membership. They shall be elected to hold office concurrently for a term of two years. The term of these elected offices shall begin at the close of the Annual Conference held during the election year.
Section 3. The Program Chairman-Annual Conference shall be appointed by the Division Chairman for a term of one year, and shall be eligible for reappointment. The term of this appointed office shall begin at the close of the Annual Conference.
Section 4. Program Advisor-Geographical Sections, Projects Coordinator, and Newsletter Editor shall be appointed by the Division Chairman for a term of two years. The term of these appointed offices shall begin at the close of the Annual Conference.
Section 5. The Immediate Past Division Chairman shall obtain office by succession, and shall serve for a term of two years. The term of this office shall begin at the close of the Annual Conference held during the election year.
Section 6. In the absence of the Division Chairman, the Secretary-Treasurer shall assume the Chairman's responsibilities, temporarily, or for as long as is necessary during the remainder of the elected term. If necessary, a Secretary-Treasurer who assumes the functions of Division Chairman may appoint a new Secretary-Treasurer for the remainder of an elected term. In any extended absence of the Secretary-Treasurer, or any appointed officer, the Division Chairman shall appoint a replacement.
Section 7. Any elected or appointed officer of the Division shall be eligible to hold elected or appointed office during succeeding election terms.
Section 8. The duties of the officers shall be those set forth in the Bylaws. The duties of the Division Chairman, Immediate Past Chairman, and Program Chairman-Annual Conference, as representatives to the Council for Professional and Technical Education, shall be those described by that Council for Professional and Technical Education, shall be those described by that Council.
Section 1. There shall be an Executive Committee composed of the seven Division officers listed in Article III, Section 1. This committee shall be responsible for formulating the policies of the Division. The Division Chairman shall serve as chairman of the Executive Committee.
Section 2. There shall be a Nominating Committee consisting of the Immediate Past Division Chairman, the Division Chairman, and one Division Member at Large who is currently serving in any elected or appointed office in the Liberal Studies Division. The Past Division Chairman shall appoint the Member at Large, and shall also serve as chairman of the Nominating Committee.
Section 3. A Program Advisory Committee shall be appointed annually by the Program Chairman-Annual Conference. This advisory committee shall consist of at least one person from the humanities, one person from the social sciences, and one person from engineering.
Section 4. A Program Committee for Geographic Sections may be appointed by the Program Advisor-Geographic Sections. Members of this committee are responsible for representing, communicating, and promoting Division interests and activities in the Geographic Sections of ASEE.
Section 5. Any officer of the Division may appoint special committees to assist in conducting the affairs of the Division.
Section 1. Elections for the offices of Division Chairman and Secretary-Treasurer shall be conducted every two years.
Section 2. The Nominating Committee, as constituted in Article IV, Section 2, shall nominate two candidates for the office of Division Chairman, and two candidates for the office of Secretary-Treasurer. The slate of candidates shall be submitted to the Secretary-Treasurer by no later than March 15 of each election year.
Section 3. All members of the Division, as so listed on the official mailing list of ASEE, shall be eligible to vote for officers and in all special elections.
Section 4. Voting for officers shall take place by a mail referendum conducted by the Secretary-Treasurer. The mail referendum shall be completed (ballots received and counted) by no later than May 1 of each election year, thus providing the newly elected Division Chairman with adequate time to appoint officers prior to the Annual Conference in June.
Section 5. A simple majority of votes cast shall be required for the election of officers. Ballot count shall be certified by both the Secretary-Treasurer and the Division Chairman.
Section 6. Mail referendums shall be required only for election of officers and for ratification or amendment of the Constitution and Bylaws. The Division Chairman may determine action on special issues by a simple majority vote of those members present at the Division business meeting conducted during the Annual Conference of the Society.
Section 1. As stipulated in Article VIII of the Constitution of ASEE, papers and discussions presented at meetings of ASEE shall become the property of the Society. "The Board of Directors, through its delegated representative, may grant permission to publish such papers and discussions elsewhere on condition that ASEE receive proper credit or may waive any property right ASEE may have in the paper or discussion."
This Constitution and Bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds majority vote of the members responding to a mail referendum.
1. Assume responsibility for the functioning of the Division.
2. Appoint officers of the Division as stipulated in the Constitution.
3. Preside at all business meeting of the Division and Executive Committee.
4. Appoint any special committee or task force essential to the functioning of the Division.
5. Serve as a member of the Nominating Committee, and certify the ballot count.
6. Serve as one of the Division Representatives to Council for Professional and Technical Education
1. Record and maintain minutes for all business meetings of the Division.
2. Receive and disburse all monies, and maintain complete financial records.
3. Prepare and distribute an annual report, and any necessary special reports, of the business proceedings and financial status of the Division. (The Newsletter may be used for communicating these reports.)
4. Conduct a mail referendum for the election of officers, to be completed by May 1 of election year. Certify ballot count.
5. Develop and maintain an historical record of the Division.
6. In the absence of the Division Chairman, assume full responsibility for functions of the Division Chairman, on wither a temporary basis or for the remainder of any unexpired term of office.
1. Arrange the program of the Division for the Annual Conference.
2. Appoint a Program Advisory Committee–consisting of at least one person from the humanities, one person from the social sciences, and one person from engineering– to assist in program planning. This temporary Program Advisory Committee shall be subject to reappointment by an incoming Program Chairman.
3. Prior to the Annual Conference inform members of the Executive Committee of the specific program sessions and dates.
4. Serve as one of the Division Representatives to the Council for Professional and Technical Education.
1. Promote Division objectives and extend Division activities into the 12 Geographic Sections of ASEE.
2. Encourage the participation and expression of Division members on the programs of annual Section meetings and in the various Section newsletters.
3. Secure the services of Division members who will represent, communicate, and promote Division interests and activities in each of the 12 Sections. (These members may constitute a Program Committee for Geographic Sections, and may meet at Annual Conferences of ASEE to plan activities and share experiences.
1. Stimulate and coordinate various aspects of project planning, development, and funding.
2. Communicate with the Division membership in identifying and arranging constructive projects, and in reporting project results.
3. Investigate and promote relevant interaction with other divisions and committees of ASEE, and with other professional societies.
4. Develop a relationship with the ASEE Projects Board, either as a full member or in an advisory capacity.
1. Edit and distribute the Division Newsletter at least two times each year.
2. Promote the exchange of pertinent written information among the members of the Division.
3. Promote increased membership in the Division through written communications.
4. Serve as a member of appropriate ASEE publications committees.
1. Serve as one of the Division Representatives to the Council for Professional and Technical Education.
2. Serve as chairman of the Nominating Committee, and ensure that the slate of candidates is submitted to the Secretary-Treasurer by no later than March 15 of each election year.
3. Advise the Executive Committee and Division membership in formulating policies and activities consistent with the policies and procedures of ASEE.