Non-Degree Program Leading to a
Provisional Teaching Certificate
The Post-BA program is designed for those who have graduated with a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and are now interested in pursuing a teaching career.
Calvin offers programs leading to certification in elementary K-5, secondary 6-12 and K-12 special education. K-12 Art, music, PE, Spanish and French are also available. Students in this program do not need to complete Calvin's core requirements, but only those courses necessary for teacher certification (teachable major/minor(s) and professional education courses). Courses taken for the bachelor's degree may count towards this program as long as the grades were C– or higher.
Calvin offers very few online courses for the Post-BA Program. Students must be able to attend classes during the day because several education courses include field experiences in local schools. Reduced requirements are available for candidates with at least one year of teaching experience (describe your experience in the application).
- Submit the application materials (listed to the right).
- Bachelor's degree grade point average of at least 2.75
(candidates with a GPA of 2.5 - 2.749 may be granted provisional admission, and are required to earn a 2.5 GPA after the first semester in order to be granted regular admission).
- Meet the Reading, Mathematics and Writing test requirements prior to beginning the second semester of the Post-BA Program (candidates with a bachelor’s degree cumulative GPA below 2.75 must pass the testing requirements prior to beginning classes at Calvin).
- All candidates meet with the Dean of Education or an appropriate departmental advisor prior to beginning classes.
- Complete a background check prior to EDUC 302-303 through certifiedbackground.com – Package Code an65
- Complete the required courses in the education sequence for elementary or secondary certification
- Complete the required courses for elementary or secondary majors and minors
- Pass the appropriate Michigan Tests for Teacher Certification
- Complete adult/child CPR and first aid training
- A semester-long directed teaching experience
Costs, Financial Aid & Scholarships
- Post-BA students are charged the undergraduate tuition rate.
- If you require financial assistance, contact James Koeman in the Financial Aid Office and explain that you already have a bachelor's degree and will be completing the Post-BA Teacher Certification Program.
- You may also apply for Education Department scholarships.
Courses may be completed at other institutions if they are included in the transfer equivalency lists or approved by an advisor in advance.
- The only CLEP examination accepted is Calculus with Elementary Functions for MATH 171.
- All Education courses must be completed at Calvin.
The Certification Coordinator and Dean of Education serve as advisors for the Education course requirements. Candidates are also assigned an advisor from each major and minor department.
Shari Brouwer, Certification Coordinator