Application materials for 2013-2014:
- Instructions (Word.doc)
- Application to Student Teach (Word.doc)
- Due December 1, 2012
- Supplemental Forms (Word.doc)
- Due February 1, 2013: Fall 2013 student teachers
- Due March 1, 2013: Spring 2014 student teachers
- Commitment Form (Word.doc)
Any application received after the December 1 deadline will require a $30.00 late fee. Applications will NOT be accepted after April 15, 2012, without the permission of the Dean of Education. We will notify you by e-mail when we receive your application and supplemental forms.
Do not try to arrange your own placement as Calvin College must follow the procedures of the school district. If you have a request please state it on the application, however, we encourage you to be open to a variety of experiences (types of schools, grade levels, or location). Your past classroom experiences, availability of placements and the date we received your application are factors in determining your placement.
- Minimum GPA of 2.5 overall AND in your major(s) and minor(s).
- You must be approved by the education department, the major department, and the minor department before being allowed to student teach.
- Read through major/minor departmental requirements
- Complete fingerprinting prior to beginning the student teaching semester (students are responsible for any fees) - instructions and details will be sent via email.
- Submit your lesson planning form (Word.doc)
- All student teachers are required to complete two exit surveys. Please check your email near the end of the semester for directions and links to the surveys.
- Fill out the student teacher of the year application (optional)
Fall student teachers must be aware that schools may ask you to begin your student teaching session in late August when some of the schools begin or teacher in-service days are held. DO NOT make plans (vacations, flight arrangements, etc.) until you have interviewed and a start date has been determined by your school. Fall student teachers will be notified of your placement and asked to interview with your perspective teachers before the end of the spring semester. Spring student teachers will be notified of your placement during the previous fall. Spring student teachers should be aware that you follow the school schedule for spring break, NOT Calvin’s spring break.
Transportation during the student teaching internship is the responsibility of the student. If the student will not have a car, please indicate this on the student teaching application and the Placement Office will make an effort to place you with another Calvin student or within the city bus line, however this cannot be guaranteed. Our primary goal is to place the student in a school environment, with an excellent teacher that creates the best learning experience for the student.
A student may apply for a transportation subsidy if the distance to the school placement and Calvin College falls into one of the following categories:
10-14 miles one way for 14 weeks: $50.00
15-19 miles one way for 14 weeks: $100.00
20-29 miles one way for 14 weeks: $150.00
Greater than 30 miles one way for 14 weeks: $200.00
Students who request a specific school are not eligible for the subsidy. Students who qualify will be sent a check at the end of the semester.