Upon completing EDUC 102 with a grade of C or better, students are part of the Pre-professional Education Program. Students need to be accepted into the Professional Education Program before they can begin any 300-level education or special education course. Students must also meet eligibility requirements before student teaching and before being certified by the State of Michigan. Plan your program carefully so that you are able to meet these requirements in time to take the needed courses.
First and Second Years - Requirements to be admitted to the Professional Education Program
- Complete at least 45 semester hours (note - this is an increase from the previously required 27 semester hours).
- Complete EDUC 102 and 202 with a grade of C or higher
- Meet the testing requirements for reading, mathematics, and writing (note - for fall 2014, candidates may begin EDUC 302-303 as long as they have met all other requirements for admission to the Professional Education Program).
- Submit the declaration of major and/or minor form to the Registrar’s office. (signed by the appropriate advisors: Elementary | Secondary)
- Complete the non-certifiable minor form if you are a secondary candidate interested in a non-certifiable minor
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5. A student who transfers to Calvin from other institutions may use the GPA from those institutions until a Calvin GPA is established. The Calvin GPA takes precedence over all other GPAs.
- Complete a background check through certifiedbackground.com
- Students are responsible for the fee, which is $28 plus $13 for each additional county of residence.
- Complete the authority to search and release information form
- Complete the education program application.
- Optional - if you might be interested in being certified in another state or province other than Michigan, stop by the Education Department and see the Teacher Certification Coordinator for advice.
Third Year - Requirements to be admitted to Student Teaching
- Complete 75 semester hours, including at least 18 in the major or minor concentration.
- Elementary Education: Complete EDUC 302-303, 305, 309, 322, and 326 with a C or higher. Receive positive recommendations from the EDUC 302-303 instructors and a satisfactory evaluation from the EDUC 303 mentor teacher. In addition, complete SCES 313, MATH 221, MATH 222, MATH 323, and KIN 223.
- Special Education: Complete EDUC 302-303, 305, 309, 310, 322, 326, and 330 with a C or higher. Receive positive recommendations from the EDUC 302-303 and 330 instructors and a satisfactory evaluation from the EDUC 303 mentor teacher. In addition, complete SCES 313, MATH 221, MATH 222, MATH 323, and KIN 223.
- Secondary Education: Complete EDUC 302-303, 307, and departmental pedagogy courses (MATH 329, IDIS 375, IDIS 357, etc.) with a C or higher.
- Complete the key assignments in EDUC 302-303 and content area pedagogy courses with a minimum score of 2 in each rubric category.
- Complete technology competencies as required in EDUC courses.
- Minimum cumulative, major, and minor GPA of 2.5.
- Receive the approval of the Education Department and of the major and minor department(s). Several departments have specified conditions, including departmental proficiency tests.
- Complete livescan fingerprinting through the PESG subbing company prior to beginning the student teaching semester (students are responsible for any fees).
- Complete Adult/Child CPR and First Aid classes
- Apply to student teach by December 1st of the year prior to student teaching.
Fourth Year - Requirements for Teacher Certification
- Pass the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification subject test for each major and minor. Elementary and Special Education students also need to pass the Elementary Education test.
- Complete EDUC 398 and EDUC 345/346/347 with a C or above and a minimum score of 2 in each rubric category on key assignments and technology competencies.
- Receive recommendations and satisfactory evaluations from the student teaching college supervisor(s) and mentor teacher(s)
- Complete the Departmental 359 course (secondary only).
- Submit the student teaching timesheet(s) to the Education Department.
- Submit the Application for Teacher Certification (distributed during student teaching).
- Minimum cumulative, major, minor, and EDUC GPA of 2.5.
- Complete all requirements for a degree. Apply for your degree and graduation at the Registrar’s Office.
- Complete two online surveys evaluating Calvin’s Teacher Education Program.