Skip to Navigation | Skip to Content



Calvin alumni report needing to take some additional state tests for Washington certification (basic skills and content tests). Fingerprinting is also required.

One teacher reported needing to take a Washington state history course.

Update - We have heard that Washington is now requiring the edTPA assessment. It is unclear whether this assessment will be required for Michigan-certified teachers or not. You may consider student teaching in Chicago, where the edTPA assessment will be used.

Disclaimer: States may change their teacher certification rules at any time. Therefore, contact the staff at the website below to obtain the most up-to-date information.

Calvin grad Shelly is available if you would like to hear about her experience getting certified in Washington - . Sarah is also available at .

Washington OSPI


Contact the Teacher Certification Office at (616) 526-6208 or