Skip to Navigation | Skip to Content


California has more requirements for teacher credentialing than most other states. Therefore, if you are hired to teach in a private school, ask if the school can accept your Michigan teaching certificate in place of the Californial credential.

If you are interested in teaching in a California public school or a private school that requires the California credential, apply for the credential right away because the application process can take a few months.

Take your application documents to a county department of education. They may be able to double-check everything and may give you a receipt which will allow you to apply for teaching positions. Fingerprinting is required.

You can begin teaching with the preliminary credential and then meet the requirements for the professional credential while you are teaching. Requirements may include additional state tests and courses, including ESL courses. Calvin's ESL minor is recommended. Calvin's new course, EDUC 312 Teaching Exceptional Students is also recommended.

Disclaimer: States may change their teacher certification rules at any time. Therefore, contact the staff at the website below to obtain the most up-to-date information.

California Commission On Teacher Credentialing

Contact the Teacher Certification Office at (616) 526-6208 or