PRE General Info
- The Professional Readiness Exam test fee is $49.
- If you would like to take the test at Calvin, select "paper-based testing." Computer-based testing is more expensive and is not offered on Calvin's campus.
- Students may register at www.mttc.nesinc.com or by mail using the booklet available in the Education Department office.
- During the registration process, be sure to identify yourself as a Calvin student and also request that your scores be sent to Calvin.
- Be careful to enter an accurate social security number! It is a huge inconvenience later if you enter an incorrect number. Canadians: please register using your U.S. social security number - not your Canadian social insurance number. If you do not have a social security number, contact Debbie Abbott.
- If you only need to retake one or two subtests, register to take the entire Professional Readiness Examination but when you report to the test site, explain which subtests you need. You will automatically receive a $10 refund for each previously passed Professional Readiness Examination subtest you do not retake. Your refund will be sent after your score report has been issued. However, to be registered correctly for the Professional Readiness Examination, you must send in the full $50 test fee.
- Be alert that you complete both the essay assignments and the multiple choice portion of the Writing test.
- The tests are completed in Hiemenga Hall, unless signage directs otherwise.
- Professional Readiness Exam passing scores are valid indefinitely.
- The Professional Readiness Exam requires serious preparation for most students, similar to the ACT or SAT tests.
- Student Academic Services offers assistance with general study skills and Academic Support (ASC) classes such as ASC 111 Academic Transitions.
- Curriculum Center high school-level textbooks may be used to review content.
- Candidates with diagnosed and documented disabilities may register for alternative testing arrangements.
- You may wish to contact the Broene Center for counseling services If you are experiencing test anxiety or need support with emotional issues.
- PRE Reading
- The PRE Reading test has a higher pass rate, so spend more time preparing for the Math and Writing tests.
- Calvin students have been scoring lower on subarea 4. Idea Relationships.
- PRE Mathematics
- A set of of mathematical definitions and formulas is provided during the test, along with a four-function calculator that may help you perform calculations on the test.
- If you do not pass this subarea, register for an appropriate elementary or secondary math core course as soon as possible (if you have not already completed the math core). Calvin offers free tutoring if you require extra assistance during this class.
- The PRE math subareas with lower pass rates are 8. Algebra and Functions (lowest), 9. Geometry and Trigonometry, and 10. Statistics and Probability.
- PRE Writing
- Use a writer's handbook to prepare for the PRE writing test (such as The DK Handbook, Bedford Handbook, or A Writer's Resource).
- If you have trouble with writing, the Rhetoric Center provides support in developing writing skills.
- If you do not pass this subarea, register for ENGL 101 if you have not already completed this course.
- Subareas with lower pass rates: 11. Apply principles of development, organization, focus, and cohesion (lowest), 12. Apply knowledge of effective sentence and paragraph formation. These subareas are multiple choice questions related to writing.
- You will submit two writing samples. Candidates have had lower ratings on subarea 14. Write arguments to support claims.
- Professional Readiness Exam study guides are available on the MTTC website.
- Additional practice tests are available online for a fee.
- These websites offer additional practice questions in reading, writing, and math:
If you have questions, contact Calvin's Teacher Certification Office at (616) 526-6208 or email@example.com.