What sets us apart...
- Education Program faculty members are committed, Christian educators with years of experience in schools. Faculty are active in education-related research, writing, and grant work with teachers in the U.S. and internationally.
- You will participate in field experiences in a variety of schools and grade levels throughout the program. Professors will support and guide you during these experiences. The Service-Learning Center also promotes community involvement.
- Calvin's commitment to academic excellence ensures that you will be challenged as you think about education-related issues.
- Choose from over 30 teachable major and minor subject areas:
- Most Education students who apply are awarded scholarships each year.
- Calvin is among the top-rated programs in Michigan according to the Michigan Department of Education.
- Calvin's Michigan Test for Teacher Certification pass rates are consistently among the highest in the state.
- National accreditation bolsters the excellent reputation of Calvin's Education Program.
- Data measures indicate that Calvin candidates are well-prepared to succeed as teachers.
- Calvin has been preparing teachers for over 110 years!
What you will learn...
- You will develop a faith-based philosophy of education and an understanding of education for social justice.
- You can apply for Education interim and student teaching opportunities in other states and countries.
- You will use resources from Calvin's Curriculum Center as you learn to plan lessons.
- Professors will work closely with you to ensure that you are prepared to be a competent, caring, and qualified educator by meeting the program goals.
Where you will go...
- Calvin teachers are prepared to work in a variety of school settings (public, faith-based, urban, charter, etc.).
- Calvin graduates are awarded the Michigan Teaching Certificate, which may be used to obtain certification in other states and provinces.
- Within one year, 100% of 2012-2013 graduates had obtained employment or entered graduate school (66% hired in teaching positions, 22% work in education-related positions, 9% employed in unrelated fields, and 3% in grad school).
- Recent graduates are teaching in 30 different states and 15 different countries. Read updates from Calvin alumni.
- Calvin's Career Development Office assists with the job hunt. Principals visit Calvin's campus each year to interview prospective teachers and they report that Calvin grads are exceptionally well-prepared to teach.
- Average salary for U.S. teachers nationwide is $56,000 per year.
- Demand for educators is expected to increase.
Take the next step...