Professor and Dean of Education
399 Spoelhof Center
(Calvin login required)
- M.Ed., University of Toronto, 1987
- Ed.D., University of Toronto, 1998
- Graduate program in literacy and reading advisor
Recent Publications, Presentations, and Professional Services
- Rooks, J. (2009). Interview for KIDS HOPE podcast on strategies for effective tutoring.
- Rooks, J. (2009). Teaching Reading in Christian Schools, presentations for the B.J. Haan conference.
- Rooks, J. (2009) Led a graduate workshop for Christian School Teachers in Tegucigalpa, Honduras on “Teaching Reading and Writing to Second Language Learners.”
- Organized and hosted a three-day workshop for 55 teachers and administrators as part of the Title II grant.
- Teaching Language Arts at a Christian Immersion School International School Consultation, Tegucigalpa, Honduras March 21-25, 2011.
- Served on the Meijer Good Schools Foundation Review Team, April 2009 at Campus School (GRPS).
- Rooks, J. K. (2010). Shaping what we love; A review of desiring the kingdom: Worship, worldview and cultural formation by James K. Smith. Christian Educators Journal Vol. 49, No. 4.
- Beyond Worldview: The Importance of Practice in Christian Education International Community of Christian Teacher Educators Conference, Longview, TX 07/25/2010.
- Rooks, J. (2009-2010) $200,000 Title II Professional Development Grant with school partners: Buchanan, Calvin Christian in Wyoming, Potter‘s House and Riverside Middle School.