395 Spoelhof Center
(Calvin login required)
- M.A., Western Michigan University, 1989
- Ph.D., Michigan State University, 2005
- Learning disabilities advisor
- Developing literacy skills
- Communicative competence
- Higher order thinking of culturally diverse learners through Book Club discussions
- Identity development
- Schooling practices
Recent Publications, Presentations, and Professional Services
- Simonson, J., Isom, D.A., Paxton-Buursma, D. (2008). The transformative power of questions: A journey from color blindness to racial awareness. In E. Horowitz (Ed.), Teaching Race and Ethnicity in Higher Education: Perspectives from North America (pp. 197-212). Birmingham: Center for the Study of Sociology, Anthropology, and Politics, The Higher Education Academy Network Press.
- Paxton-Buursma, D. (2008). “I was never not interested in learning”: Students with LD Speak. An invited research to practice presentation at CSI (Christian Schools International), South Bend, IN.