We're celebrating...come join us!
Check back in January for several special lectures celebrating the 25th anniversary of the preserve.
On October 23, 2010, we celebrated our 25th anniversary during Homecoming & Family Weekend. Check out the schedule of events below to learn more about this special celebration.
Friday, October 22, 2010
8:00 p.m. Chapel 25th Anniversary Lecture
"Life with the National Forests: Work Worth Doing, "
with Joel Holtrop '74 and Jessica Holtrop '07
Joel Holtrop ’74 and Jessica Holtrop ‘07 will share reflections on their Forest Service experience as father and daughter, as individuals committed to land stewardship: one at a careers beginning and the other at a careers culmination, and as two members of a family imbued with lessons and values learned at Calvin College to care for the earth, its people, and its resources. Joel is Deputy Chief for the United States Forest Service responsible for oversight of the 193 million acre National Forest System of forests and grasslands located in 42 states and Puerto Rico. Jessica has been a wildland fire fighter in Montana and California
Saturday, October 23, 2010
9:30 to 11:00 a.m. BIC 25th Anniversary Celebration Brunch and Preserve walk (invitation-only event for former staff, donors, volunteers and guests)
12:00 p.m.– 4:00 p.m. BIC Celebration Open House
Everyone is invited to help us celebrate 25 years of caring for creation and sharing its wonders with the community.
Celebration activities include:
- Guided nature walks and tours of the Bunker Interpretive Center
- A nature scavenger hunt for families to participate in
- Children's activities in the lab
- At 2:00 pm, Joel and Jessica Holtrop will share stories about their work with the National Forest Service in a more informal setting.
- A live reptiles and amphibians display. Get up close and personal with these amazing native animals and learn more about them from Ryan Webb, a Cornerstone University Environmental Science student.
- Refreshments featuring Post Family Farms pumpkin donuts, Michigan apples, apple cider and homemade cookies
- Special displays highlighting Calvin Energy Recovery Fund (CERF), Plaster Creek Stewards Project, CCEP research projects, and ways to get involved here at the preserve.
Visit the Homecoming page to see the complete schedule for the weekend.