The Erecthion was completed circa 409 BC, though it later burned and was rebuilt in 395 BC. In the 6th century AD, it was converted into a church. Later, in 1463, the Turks used the building as a harem. In 1801, Lord Elgin acquired various parts of the temple, including a Caryatid from the south porch, and removed them to England. Since then, the temple has undergone restoration, the most recent being finished in 1986.

The entire temple was unified by a single frieze which ran all the way around the temple, nearly uninterrupted. The subject of the frieze is unknown, though it is known to have been of Pentelic marble figures attached onto a background of dark Eleusian marble.


The Erechthion from the south west The Erechthion from the south