Summer Research Internship for High School Students
This internship is focused on encouraging high school students from economically disadvantaged households to consider a career in science, especially chemistry. Participants are given a research project in chemistry and are supervised by a Calvin College faculty mentor and receive a fellowship award of $2,500 for 8 weeks of full-time work. The summer 2013 program runs from June 10 to August 2; participants are expected to work full-time during these 8 weeks.
Note: High school seniors who have participated in the Project SEED summer program are eligible to apply for a one year, non-renewable college scholarship of up to $5,000.
1. Download application (pdf ). The applicant must complete the application – and submit electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to the address below:
2. Please arrange for 2-3 reference letters from:
> 1st letter, required from a chemistry/ science teacher.
> 2nd letter, required
> 3rd letter, preferred
Choose individuals who know you and your academic abilities. Details for the recommender are given at the end of the application.
3. We require a copy of your most recent official high school transcript; the transcript should include PSAT, SAT, or ACT test scores. Have it mailed to the address below:
Application, transcript, and recommendation letter must be submitted on or before April 15, 2013 to email@example.com or sent to:
Calvin College Chemistry Department Project SEED 2013
1726 Knollcrest Circle SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49546
Information for Individuals Writing a Letter of Reference: (this info is also listed on the application)
We need a candid description of the applicant. Please include in your letter:
- How you know the applicant, and if applicable, include the courses in which you have been the student’s instructor.
- Your assessment of the applicant’s academic strength, communication skills, ability to work independently, self-confidence, work habits, and ability to work with others.
It will be most helpful to the selection committee if your letter includes both strengths and areas where the applicant can use further development. Please email your reference letter by April 15, 2013 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your name, title/institution, phone number, and email address (we will contact you to confirm your letter submission). You may attach a Word Document or PDF to your email. The applicant will not be able to see your letter.
Professor Mark Muyskens, PhD
Calvin College l Department of Chemistry
Project SEED Director