German Propaganda Archive Calvin College

 

Background: Hitler prided himself on his buildings, the “word in stone.” Munich was the headquarters of the party, and received a major share of his architectural interest. Hitler clearly saw buildings as propaganda. They were designed to impress. These photos come from a book published by the Nazi Party’s publishing firm. The book often was given as a gift by Franz X. Schwarz, the party’s treasurer.

The source: Franz Maier-Hartmann, Die Bauten der NSDAP. in der Hauptstadt der Bewegung (Munich: Zentralverlag der NSDAP., 1942).


Nazi Buildings

This is the book’s frontpiece, a portrait of Hitler by Horn-Stauffer.
This is the “Brown House,” the NSDAP’s headquarters building in Munich. According to the text: “Party members from throughout the Reich will not miss the chance to visit the Brown House while visiting Munich.”
This is a picture of the Königsplatz in Munich, where in 1935 two “Honor Temples” were erected for the remains of the sixteen Nazis who died in the 1923 Beer Hall Putsch.
This is a close-up of one of the two “Honor Temple” structures.
The “Führerbau,” a major party office building in Munich.
Hitler’s office in the Munich “Führerbau.”
The party’s administration building.
A model of the party chancellery.

Go to the 1933-1945 Page.

Go to the German Propaganda Home Page.