DeVos Communication Center 261D
(Knightvision login required)
- BA - Indiana University of Pennsylvania, English, 1976
- MA - Youngstown State University, English, 1981
- PhD - Bowling Green State University, American culture studies, 1990.
- the intersection of American Christianity, popular art and culture
- what is known in conservative Protestant circles as "worldly amusements"
- film history
- Christianity and film
- popular culture
Reforming Hollywood: How American Protestants Fought for Freedom at the Movies (New York: Oxford University Press, 2012)
- Selection, President’s Author Series, Indiana Wesleyan University, February 2013
Eyes Wide Open: Looking for God in Popular Culture (Grand Rapids, MI: Brazos Press, a division of Baker Books, 2001).
- 2002 Winner ECPA (Evangelical Christian Publishers Association) Gold Medallion Award, Christianity and Society. Brazos Press Best Seller, 2001. Korean-language edition (Korean InterVarsity Press, 2004), English-language edition, Philippines (Claretian Communications, 2004). A revised and expanded edition was published in 2007, Chinese-language edition, Hong Kong (FES Publishing Department, forthcoming)
Eyes Wide Open: Looking for God in Popular Culture Video Series. A three-part Video/DVD series based on the book of the same title.
- 2002 Aegis Award Winner (previous winners include NBC News, Warner Bros. Pay-TV, ESPN2 and the Discovery Channel); 2002 Communicator Award of Distinction
Pop Culture Wars: Religion and the Role of Entertainment in American Life. 3rd edition. (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1996).
Dancing in the Dark: Youth, Popular Culture and the Electronic Media. (et al.). (Grand Rapids, Michigan: Williams B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1991).
- This publication is the result of a collaborative effort of six Fellows in the Calvin Center for Christian Scholarship 1988-89.
Risky Business: Rock in Film. (with R. Serge Denisoff). (New Brunswick: Transaction Books, 1991).
Personal Web site (includes clip of Eyes Wide Open on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno)
Recipient of a fellowship and faculty research award from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Download William Romanowski's professional curriculum vitae.