DeVos Communication Center 270B
(Knightvision login required)
- BA - Calvin College, philosophy, 1980
- MA - University of Iowa, communication (film), 1982
- PhD - University of Wisconsin-Madison, communication arts (film) and philosophy, 1989
- film, television, and spectator affect
- history of cinema
- documentary film and television history, criticism, and theory
- film and media theory
- film and philosophy
Moving Viewers: American Film and the Spectator’s Experience (Berkeley: University of California Press, 2009)
Rhetoric and Representation in Nonfiction Film (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1997)
The Routledge Companion to Philosophy and Film, co-editor with Paisley Livingston (New York: Routledge, 2009)
Passionate Views: Film, Cognition, and Emotion, co-editor with Greg M. Smith (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1999)
"American Documentary in the 1980s,” in Stephen Prince (author and compiler), A New Pot of Gold: Hollywood Under the Electronic Rainbow (New York: Charles Scribners Sons, 2000).
- President, "Society for Cognitive Studies of the Moving Image"
- Associate Editor, "Projections: The Journal for Movies and Mind"
- Member, Society for Cinema Studies
- Member, American Society for Aesthetics
Download Carl Plantinga's professional curriculum vitae.