Dr. Peter Snyder has been teaching "Strategic Management" and "Management and Organizational Behavior" at Calvin since 2008. He earned a Ph.D. in Management Science from the University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee after having worked at the corporate headquarters of Sears, Roebuck and Co., first as an industrial engineer and later as a national operations manager and as a project manager.
He enjoys teaching management at Calvin and working with students as they grow in their understanding of business and how their faith can inform it. For example, in the Strategic Management course, student teams work with local technology inventors to develop a business model for potential products. The teams draw on their knowledge of marketing, finance, accounting, economics, and strategy to identify the product's target market and revenue and cost
structures, as well as a strategy for taking it to market. Students also explore how their beliefs influence their understanding of strategic management.
Professor Snyder actively pursues research in the areas of strategic management and innovation. His research has focused primarily on the intersection of corporate governance, decision making,
- Instructor at the University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
- Project Manager – Operations Planning at Sears,
Roebuck and Co.
- National Manager of Outbound Take-With Channel Transportation at Sears, Roebuck and Co.
- Industrial Engineer at Sears, Roebuck and Co.
- Independent Consultant
- PhD Management Science
University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee, 2008
- MA Church History and Theology
Wheaton College, 2001
University of Kansas, 1993
- BBA Entrepreneurship and Management
Baylor University, 1990
Honors, Awards, and Publications
- Snyder, P.J., Priem, R.L., & Levitas, E. 2009. The Diffusion of illegal innovations among management elites. Academy of Management Conference Best Paper Proceedings.
- Snyder, P., Hall, M., Robertson, J., Jasinski, T., & Miller, J.S. 2006. Ethical rationality: A strategic approach to organizational crisis. Journal of Business Ethics; 63: 371-383.
Awards and Grants
- Calvin Center for Innovation in Business Fellowship 2010, 2011
- Calvin Research Fellowship 2008, 2009, 2011
- Diekema Fellowship Fall 2008, 2009 (Calvin College)
- Finalist (top three) for the 2009 Academy of Management Social Issues in Management Doctoral Dissertation Award
- 2009 Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings (Academy of Management Conference)
- 2009 Chambery Summer Fellowship (Calvin College)
- 2009 KEEN grant to develop course on the management of innovation
- Roger L. Fitzsimmonds Doctoral Scholarship 2007 (UW–Milwaukee)
- Business Advisory Council Doctoral Scholarship 2006 (UW–Milwaukee)
- Gold Star Teaching Award 2006 (UW–Milwaukee)
- Chancellor's Fellowship 2004-2005 (UW–Milwaukee)
Professor Snyder enjoys spending time with his wife and two children. He loves playing with his family and watching his children's games and recitals. On occasion he even coaches a youth team.
For a full Curriculum Vitae (CV) (PDF)