We asked our students, "Why did you decide to study Biology at Calvin?"
Here are their answers:
- Research opportunities are available on and off-campus during the summer and the academic year.
- Calvin's program is a great value.
- Most students can graduate in four years.
- Nearly 100% of the biology graduates are accepted into graduate school the first time they apply.
- Infrastructure is there to support research and laboratory experiences.
- Many great field opportunities. Many labs go outside and use the ecosystem preserves.
- There are two ecological field stations.
- The programs are comprehensive.
- Faculty are available in their offices to advise students.
- Faculty care personally about their students, they are approachable and friendly.
- We get quality teaching by professors with Ph.D.s.
- We have opportunities to take classes we are interested in that are not required for the major.
- The program and teaching are Christ centered.
- Extensive open laboratory hours are open for students.
- Students have access to technology; students run their own samples.
- Calvin's biology department is the recipient of several HHMI grants that recognize excellence.
- The biology courses are rigorous and have demanding expectations.
- Calvin attracts high achieving students.
- Students say that they learn more in Calvin biology courses than in similar courses at other colleges.
- There is great camaraderie between biology students.
Calvin's biology department is small enough to feel intimate, but large enough to provide great opportunities.